Difference between Root and Home Directory in Linux OS is per as below.
- The root directory is the topmost level of the linux system drive. Where home directory is a sub directory of the root directory in linux.
- The root directory is denoted by a slash '/'. The home directory is denoted by '~' and has path "/users/username".
- The admin can create a user for root directory. Any user having a home directory cannot create a user.
- The admin has access to make any changes in the files and settings in root directory. Home directory user can change the settings of the entire linux system.
- Everyone can access root directory without login. First You must login into linux system to access home directory.